Friday, July 1, 2011

Gregg Stradiotto, Artist

It has been a while since I last posted.  It is not to say that we have not been busy.  Caring for my elderly parents is a pretty much full time job which leaves little time for trying to be creative.  The combination of Connecticut climate and social attitudes here have presented few opportunities to use my camera so I have been focused on developing a greater knowledge and attempting to develop post processing skills utilizing Adobe Photoshop Elements software.

Last week I received an email from an artist who had come across my blog and photography galleries on the Internet.  I am always amazed at the power of the Internet to connect people from various backgrounds and from distant locations.

Gregg Stradiotto is an artist who carves "netsuke", an article used in traditional Japanese costume.  As is typical of Eastern culture, there is more than what just meets the eye with "netsuke".  There is a great deal of symbolism as well as tradition involved in the subject matter and depiction in each "netsuke".  Gregg also takes it further in some of his works by infusing some Summi (Lapland) motives.

I was very impressed with his work and in correspondence with him, I found him to be a supporter of multi-culturalism which I am also an advocate of.  http://hale-worldphotography.blogspot.com/2010/10/free-to-be-you-free-to-be-me.html

I am sharing the link to Gregg's website because I believe that you will find it interesting and informative - another part of the world that we all share but may not be aware of.

www.greggstradiotto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment