Friday, January 9, 2009

23 July 2008

Today was not a very adventuresome day. We stayed home, the hotel room, all day. I worked on and finished a 65 minute DVD of the grandchildren from my last trip to the USA in May.

There are now concerns regarding flooding in Laos from the Mekong River. It appears the flooding could occur on Sunday. It rained again this afternoon so it will most likely happen.

Tonight Duang's son came to the room with his wife - she works at Tesco-Lotus (kind of like Target and a grocery store all rolled up into one). Duang ended up giving him some money - 200 baht ($6.25). From the conversation either in Lao or Thai I am not sure which, I determined it was about me. Well the cat is out of the bag because Duang had to ask me to write my name - she is buying me a birthday cake for next week . I think there is also more to it too. She was also talking about rum, whiskey, and wine. A month ago when she went to Laos, I gave her some money. She ended up buying two bottles of rum, a bottle of whiskey, and two boxes of wine . We don't even drink that much. All that I have seen since then is one bottle of rum which we drank 12% of to date. I was a little miffed that she bought so much liquor - luckily I didn't say anything because I have a suspicion now that there is a party coming up. Time will tell.

Last year we celebrated my birthday in a Hmong Hill Tribe Village outside of Chiang Mai. This year with the upcoming trip to the USA, it will be celebrated here in Udon. After the USA reip and after we move into our house, we will travel afar once again - most likely Laos.

Three weeks ago Duang surprised me. She played a song that her brother has written and performed about me. He performs "malam morlam" (Lao country music) shows for a living. It is quite a cultural event and I have been to three of his shows as well as two others. These shows are performed to celebrate various occasions - weddings, sons becoming monks, anniversary of a death ...

It is very interesting as well as entertaining. Anyhow - while I was back in the USA last month, he wrote the music and lyrics to a song about Duang and I. It says Awh-wren (Thai pronunciation for "Allen") come back to Thailand now, my sister just walks and walks around, she only wants to go to the airport to greet you ... The local people have heard it and like it. It will be released next week on his latest CD. I don't know when it will be released in America or if a world tour is planned No matter the case, I am pleased and honored.

It is a kick over here - I find the people to be very accepting.

I am still busy editing and cataloging my digital photos - 10,330 total - so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment