Friday, January 9, 2009

28 July 2008 - My 59th Birthday

28 July 2008 Monday - My 59th Birthday

My 59th birthday was yesterday and a memorable day.

The festivities started at 10:00 AM. Duang's youngest brother's girlfriend came over to pick us up. We then went over to Number 4's home (that is how we refer to Duang's youngest brother - I don't know why other than he is the youngest of 4 children). He puts on and stars in Mahlam Morlam shows. He lives on a narrow street with many of the other local musicians and singers across the street from a local Buddhist Wat. He and the other entertainers live in two story two room habitats. The bottom room has a rollup front and serves as an office and living room. The upstairs room is where people sleep. Since the places are very small, people eat and play checkers on concrete tables and benches located on the sidewalk outside of their places. As it seems everywhere around here, many of the entertainers are Duang's relatives. As such we had to pay our respects to many of the people along the sidewalk and sitting inside their opened-air living rooms. As typical around here everyone was very pleasant and polite. Of course, they spoke no English and Duang had to translate. The Thais in Isaan are very curious about foreigners and questions that would never be asked of relatives in the USA are frequently asked of strangers here. After our social obligations were completed, we crossed the street to the Wat.

As was the case last year for my birthday here in Thailand, I went to a Wat to obtain blessings from the monk. People here believe that extra merit (kind of like Buddhist Brownie Points) are obtained by bringing gifts to a monk and getting his blessings on your birthday. After getting birthday wishes and Buddhist blessing, Duang, her youngest brother, his girlfriend, and I headed north towards Laos listening to mahlam low Lao (country music of lowland Lao people) on the local radio station.

After awhile, shortly north of town, we pulled into a fish farm/restaurant. In the area there are many places that have ponds where fish or prawns are commercially raised. The fish and prawns are collected and served in the establishment's restaurant. As is common throughout Thailand at rivers and ponds, several thatched roof huts are built over the water. These wooden huts are about 8 feet by 8 feet with a straw mat over the wooden floor. These huts are for people to rest, drink, and eat. Waiters come and take your drink and food orders. In addition to drinking and eating, you can feed the fish.

As we pulled into the restaurant I noticed that behind me, Duang's brother was on the cell phone talking. Quickly, I realized what he was saying was also coming in over the radio! The next thing that happens is that the cell phone is being thrust into my face and Duang is telling me to talk to the DJ on air. I ended up talking what little Thai I know over the air and picked up what was obviously birthday wishes from the DJ. After our brief mostly one way conversation (his way), the DJ played the song about me that Duang's brother wrote and performs. It was a very nice surprise and very thoughtful.

We set up in our hut and ordered food and drink. There was a couple more on air conversations with the DJ between Duang, her brother, and the DJ regarding my birthday. Apparently they were convincing about the party, because the DJ said that he was coming over. About ten minutes later he arrived on motorbike. It turns out that I had met "Joe" from previous events.

After awhile another DJ from another of Udon's radio stations joined us. I knew him from several other events associated with Duang's brother.

We ate and drank until 2:00 PM when returned home to rest.

At 7:00 PM Duang's son and his wife came to pick us up. We stopped at the Night Market and his wife bought and gave me a beautiful bouquet of roses. From the Night Market, we drove to a local club that specializes in mahlam morlam. This is where my official birthday party was happening. It was very nice. About 15 people were there. The parking lot attendant wished me a Happy Birthday as I got out of the pickup truck. The stage where the band performs had a large sign stating "Happy Birthday Allen Albert Hale".

As the band started performing, the MC wished me a happy birthday. As it turned out I was familiar with most of the performers from other events. It was a great night - at least 10 different singers (not counting me ), and two go-go dancers (not counting me ) It went on for 4-1/2 hours.

The food was very good and we had a very nice birthday cake. Duang's brother sang songs, and the two DJs sang songs too.

Most people danced and Duang also danced for me - it was a wonderful night. We ended up back at home at 12:30

No comments:

Post a Comment